Engine Tech
> Iron D-Port Heads
User Name
Password

Iron D-Port Heads All iron d-port heads, flow number and performance results

sponser links

Old 07-19-15, 12:16AM   #1
Stan Weiss

Default What is the fastest (MPH) a D port has run?

What is the fastest (MPH) a D port has run? I do not know, but would guess maybe M/T at Bonneville.

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-15, 01:58AM   #2
Mb125

That's a good question
Old 07-19-15, 11:13AM   #3
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

351.95 Mph
tjs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 02:28AM   #4
Stan Weiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs44 View Post
351.95 Mph
Thanks Tom. I figured you would know. Do you happen to know what year that was?

Stan
Old 07-20-15, 11:34AM   #5
Stan Weiss

I do remember the car for 4 Pontiac engines but not how fast it went. It was too many years ago. So I decided not to be lazy and did a search.

Powered by Four (4) Pontiac V-8 engines. In August 22, 1959 Mickey Thompson took the "Challenger I" to Bonneville and ran a 1-way top speed of 351.95 MPH and a two way average of 345.33 MPH and set 4 World records.

Stan
Old 07-20-15, 12:59PM   #6
Mb125

Can't even imagine what that's like piloting that missile and keeping it straight.
That is flying.
Old 07-21-15, 01:31AM   #7
Stan Weiss

Yes, at those speed I do not think my reaction times would be fast enough.

Stan
Old 08-15-15, 06:21PM   #8
keith
Stubborn old goat

Here's another good question ... what is the fastest @ 25" of water that a d-port has been clocked at in port velocity since I'll bet it is close to that land speed record.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15, 07:17PM   #9
Stan Weiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Here's another good question ... what is the fastest @ 25" of water that a d-port has been clocked at in port velocity since I'll bet it is close to that land speed record.
In theory max would be around 331 fps which = 225.6818 MPH

Stan
Old 08-15-15, 07:53PM   #10
keith
Stubborn old goat

I have a Pete McCarthy video showing Dave @ SD Performance porting a #16 and #670 and nearing 500 fps. Port velocities higher than E-heads being ported as well although cfm lower. This is why I asked the question.
Old 08-15-15, 08:17PM   #11
Stan Weiss

Based on depression (how many inches of water) there is a theoretical max velocity. 60 inches of water is around 513 fps. In a running engine you would like to see a max of .55 to .6 mach. Since a port is not a constant CSA the same flow (CFM) will have a different velocity in different size CSA. To make it even more confusing if you take a single CSA and probe the left top center and bottom the middle top center and bottom and the right top center and bottom you will probably get 9 different velocities at that one CSA.

Stan

PS - Did you post on Speed talk about bearing speed?
Old 08-15-15, 08:39PM   #12
keith
Stubborn old goat

Hi Stan yes I did post there, I have a book on Automotive formulas and didnt find bearing speed in there but was basically able to visualize the main bearing speed and calculate it after using the books mean piston speed calculation. (Some time ago) I had then also roughly calculated port speed and was surprised it was in the hundreds of mph. Thought I just boo-boo'ed or something but then bought and watched PeteM video and was amazed I was in the ballpark. Doing little engine notebooks on my builds and keeping records of this and that so if I can make a gain somewhere I can see how I calculated it and do better on future mods. Im not equipped for calculus type math but can do simple math ok.

Have been recently retold by the same Pontiac salt that a 2.100 rod journal is insufficient strengthwise and just dont see that since sbc seems to have no trouble with it. Think its more not wanting to have to mess with factory cranks. Or get foreign crank grinders to have to supply another version of a small volume crank type.
Old 08-15-15, 08:56PM   #13
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

Keith,STOP comparing a std deck pontiac to a SBC!Their rods are way shorter,pistons lighter etc etc etc!I have only gone to a 2in pin with 6in alu rods in a engine that was a full inch shorter deck.I cant stop stressing it enough.the HP is in the heads.The issue MOST pontiac racers would really change is the main bearing size from 3in to 2.5 inch.Your chasing windmills in the bottom end especially with the HP needs your looking at.Spend less time on the internet and more time in your garage working on your top end!Sorry to vent but we want to help you and see you succeed with your project.Tom
tjs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15, 11:05PM   #14
keith
Stubborn old goat

Tom, Im just trying to gather information and learn while making as smart a decision as I can with my limited experience. I am working an sbc and 2 Pontiacs ... 2 street motors mostly and a Pontiac race motor. I have pistons and rods for all except the pistons for the Pontiac race motor. The 6.00 Scat Chevy and 6.64 BME Pontiac rods are both 620gms. The Diamond Chevy 4.030 pistons-pin-rings weigh 625gms, the Ross 4.180 weigh 720gms(444 pistons ... assume 427 the same)There may not be HP in the lower end and I dont believe I have ever claimed that, the strength and weight of it does make more HP attainable and livable ... I dont think you can deny that. I think the lower weight will spin up quicker as well. I am simply using what I have at the moment. There is a 1" deck height difference in the 2 motors. This does make a difference but they are not worlds apart. The Ultradyne solid roller on its way to me should be moving me up alittle in the HP department long as I can make factory heads flow enough to breathe with it. May have to grab the SD Performance set I've needed to use as models for my own porting. It should be a good stress test for a standard 400 crank stroked to sbc max.
Old 01-16-19, 08:20AM   #15
Zedo
prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Hi Stan yes I did post there, I have a book on Automotive formulas and didnt find bearing speed in there but was basically able to visualize the main bearing speed and calculate it after using the books mean piston speed calculation. (Some time ago) I had then also roughly calculated port speed and was surprised it was in the hundreds of mph. Thought I just boo-boo'ed or something but then bought and watched PeteM video and was amazed I was in the ballpark. Doing little engine notebooks on my builds and keeping records of this and that so if I can make a gain somewhere I can see how I calculated it and do better on future mods. Im not equipped for calculus type math but can do simple math ok.

Have been recently retold by the same Pontiac salt that a 2.100 rod journal is insufficient strengthwise and just dont see that since sbc seems to have no trouble with it. Think its more not wanting to have to mess with factory cranks. Or get foreign crank grinders to have to supply another version of a small volume crank type.
if you want to fool with small journal Pontiac cranks, get yourself a couple early motors 1955-58, preferably the 1958 cuz it's got the most cubic inches. adapt it to your transmission. basically they are a small block type of motor from the crank journal standpoint, or as close as you're gonna get to one with a Pontiac, especially the 316 made in 1956. HO Racing used to run one in NHRA classes as a "326" in a 1965 Tempest or LeMans, but it was actually a 60 over, 1956 316 block. they had it turning over 8000 rpm through the traps with stock rocker arms, and set a record with it back in the 70's, it only ran 11's but that was flying in that class back then. it had Ram Air IV heads and 2-4 barrels on it, and a Chevy Edelbrock tunnel ram adapted to a Pontiac pattern. when you're all done, you'll realize- you shoulda just run a 400 and been done with it, and live with the journals it has- if shorter stroke and smaller journal main is your cup of tea- the 400 is the best combination from that standpoint. and you don't have to adapt it to your transmission. cripes they run 9's in Super Stock, how bad can a 400 be ? you can get blocks and cranks for like $200 at the junkyards still.
Zedo is offline   Reply With Quote