> Iron D-Port Heads
User Name
Password

Iron D-Port Heads All iron d-port heads, flow number and performance results

sponser links

Old 04-07-11, 02:51AM   #1
494GOAT
OLDGOAT

Thumbs up Hey Big Shots, We Gots Our Own Forum!!!

We don't need no stinkin' aluminum heads!
Alright, one for the little guy!
Now us dport owners can walk around with our heads held high!
How about we get a list of the top five et's/mph's for dports?
Marty P is probably at the top. Didn't he turn in the sixes @ 200mph?
Have any of those CV1's done that?!
1.41 / 6.45@104.97mph /10.25@127.12mph

http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/vbp...?do=view&g=379
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZqdcH0Ltc4
494GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 12:32AM   #2
Gach
Administrator

I think Jim Y was the D-Port king runing I think 8.80's and hit the high 7's with nitrous.
Old 04-08-11, 10:03AM   #3
Mr. PBody

Yes, Marty's car went in the high 6s right at 200, D-ports, turbo-charged.

Not a whole lot of "developement" these days, but we're not "done". Among the more powerful F.A.S.T. Pontiacs WAS Jay's '74 T/A with 4Xs done by Dave Wilcox. He jumped ship to SD, and we haven't heard a word. The heads they had sent for his "new" build weren't exactly F.A.S.T. "material".

Gene Kinch is currently running 670s on "Galopin' Goat", 9.90s @ 134, 3,400 lbs. We also have a 440 CID "alcohol injected" project in the works , with '68 16s. Should produce AROUND 800 HP. Proof's "in the pudding", though.

Just some "real world" stuff using D-ports...

Jim
Mr. PBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 02:23PM   #4
LMS-RACER
Pontiac Racer 1966

Default We've run them for Years !!

We've managed to run respectably & consistently with them over the years ..
We're currently working on a 446 cubic inch "Race Set-Up" with #48 heads.
That Engine is going in the 77 Formula shown in the link below.

http://www.precisionautomotivespecia...m/GALLERY.html
http://www.precisionautomotivespecia...Gallery-3.html

Larry S.

P.S. Thanks Gach..
LMS-RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 02:32PM   #5
jeffb

I am very excited, for myself and the other average working stiffs with d ports! I hope to get to our local track Numidia Dragway by mid May.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:09AM   #6
Cliff R

"Not a whole lot of "developement" these days, but we're not "done". Among the more powerful F.A.S.T. Pontiacs WAS Jay's '74 T/A with 4Xs done by Dave Wilcox. He jumped ship to SD, and we haven't heard a word. The heads they had sent for his "new" build weren't exactly F.A.S.T. "material"."

Maybe someone should round up Jay so he could elaborate a bit more on his decision to go to a different engine builder?

My only contribution to Jay's project was the carb, intake, and cam choice. At some point (after it left here) someone chopped most of the center divider out of the intake, and KILLED engine power just about everywhere. Might want to include that fact in the learning curve for your R & D......Cliff
Cliff R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:54AM   #7
Jeffs 64

Cliff, I don't know what you did to the 6x8 heads on that 462 you sold me but that motor has never stalled on me, even in hot city traffic with the lumpy 60919 cam.. I have well over 60,000 miles on it now.. It loves 87 octane, though I use 89 when the temperature goes over 80 degrees...

I've never had a big motor come alive over 3000 rpm like this one does.... Frankly I'll never understand how anybody could want or need more power than this for a street ride..

By the way the Turbo 400 you built is fantastic! The 2.56 posi is perfect with the lower first and second gears.. I'll never use a OD tranny...
Jeffs 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 01:10PM   #8
Mr. PBody

Cliff,

That's a big bag of worms you DON'T want to open. Always remember, there are two sides to a story. Some of the information you've already "leaked" is erroneous.

Dave Wilcox is among the best head porters on the planet, regardless of engine "family". My only point here.

Jim
Old 04-09-11, 03:01PM   #9
Scott Roberts

Where is Jay anyways???? Havent heard from him lately? He used to post lots of info on py.. nothing lately....
Scott Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 07:59PM   #10
Dragncar

I think Marty was in the low 7s with the iron 62s and hit the high 6s with E heads when they first came out.
Sure wish that car had stayed Pontiac. Best looking Judge ever.
You would thing the reliable 2500HP Pontiacs they have now would be good enough.
I bet someone gets 3000 reliable HP soon.
Dragncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 11:18PM   #11
Cliff R

Jim, it's NOT my bag of worms to open. It's not my engine, and our shop had no hand in building any part of it. I've seen the photo's, heard both sides of the deal, etc, etc. In situations like that, it is best to let the persons directly involved work all that stuff out between themselves.

I'm just the carb and distributor guy, and did the original modifications to the intake under the carb before the final porting was done on it elsewhere.

Just pointing out that the intake divider removal mod KILLED power clear across the mid-range, and slowed Jay's car down considerably.

It took Jay a while to figure it out, but removing the divider was a BIG no-no on the stock intake. He lost close to 40 ft lbs peak torque (chassis dyno), and TONS of power in the mid-range. A divider was made and installed to replace the stock one, and ALL the power came right back.

It didn't post this to be critical of the person or persons who did it, just as a reminder that some radical modifications to parts simply don't work as intended. Still doesn't hurt to try things, as it's impossible in this hobby to make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!......Cliff
Cliff R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 12:10PM   #12
Mb125

I have seen cars go slower with aluminum heads, plenty fast cars with iron heads out there just got to know what you are doing.
Old 04-10-11, 06:40PM   #13
bryan67gto

Nothing wrong with a good set of D ports ran 6X's for years in mid to high 9's. Did switch to E heads when they came out years back. So run them on the race car and the D ports or going on the street crusier.
bryan67gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 07:51PM   #14
1qikta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Where is Jay anyways???? Havent heard from him lately? He used to post lots of info on py.. nothing lately....

I'm right here.
1qikta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 03:27PM   #15
Mr. PBody

Cliff,

Two things, then I'll leave it alone.

First, 4-5 lbs. of torque loss over 4,000 RPM in an engine making over 650 (at the flywheel) could hardly be considered "killed". In fact, it was in a car that couldn't handle 75% of the torque it already had. And you forgot to mention, in that same "range", it was "up" about the same number of HP is was "down" on torque. This is a hazard of racing dynoes instead of cars.

Second: WHO did you hear "our" side of the story from? It wasn't me! And I'm the ONLY ONE authorized to speak for CVMS. Any attempt to gloss over this question, evade it or divert away is a clear indication of a falsehood on your part. You often make "claims" and no one challenges you. This time, I AM CHALLENGING YOU! Who and WHEN?

Jim