PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> High Port Head
User Name
Password

High Port Head High Port owners can give there opinions along with their track results

sponser links

Old 02-21-14, 06:39AM   #1
siege

Default water cross over with highport question

Ok guys I just have a really fast question I have noticed that the water cross over on the intake don't line up with the water out let on the timing cover what is the fix for this or is every one blocking them off?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	950hp.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	26863  
siege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 02:24PM   #2
1964gtojeff
new combo imminent

Block both passages. Make sure you tap enough to make plugs end in the washer recess. Otherwise they will hit.
http://s437.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=951ppg.mp4 95* august heat! 93 octane 063 n20 jet. 10.5 slick
'"If you want true credibility, especially with an unproven combination and/or experience, just shut up, run it, get an ET slip and let it do the talking."
Gaby Labiosa 11-19-09
1964gtojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-14, 07:44AM   #3
siege

Thank you jeff
siege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-14, 08:19PM   #4
Gach
Administrator

It's because the high port heads have a rised intake port which in turn rises the intake and the water hole to timming cover no longer lines up. It's not a big deal, just throws guys off who don't realize both can be block off.
Old 04-06-19, 10:04PM   #5
keith
Stubborn old goat

How can I ID a high-port head? Is it just the RAIV,455HO and 455SD? Some are D-port and some are round-port exhaust?
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 10:42PM   #6
Gach
Administrator

Real easy, itís a aftermarket aluminum head, produce by Kauffman Racing. Says Kauffman right on the head
Old 04-07-19, 02:36AM   #7
Gach
Administrator

Oops, same as Ram 1V and SD round exhaust.
Old 04-07-19, 10:43PM   #8
keith
Stubborn old goat

Hey Gach, was interested in the factory heads that had modified ports different than normal 67 up ports and wondered how to ID them quickly. I thought that's what this forum was. Maybe it's for Kaufman heads?

Factory premium heads, some with different ports .. big $$ probably ... is it just these??

1968 37 raI 72cc std d exhaust std intake swirl polished valves
96 raII 71cc round exhaust std intake port

1969 48 raIII 72ccstd d exhaust std intake port raIV chamber
722 raIV 71cc round exhaust raised intake port

1970 614 raIV 71cc round exhaust raised intake port +3cc
64 455HO 87cc std d exhaust, raised intake port 87cc

1971 191 455HO 111cc round exhaust raised intake

1972 7F6 455HO 111cc round but restricted exhaust raised intake

1973 16 455SD 111cc revised round ex + raised intake +10% flow

1974 16 455SD 111cc revised round ex + raised intake +10% flow

Don't know if this is correct or a complete list .. maybe late heads like 6X have high ports too, intake does look different by guide boss. Im ready to work my blanks but considering the small amount I have in them if a much better blank set came up I might grab them. Did have a set of nice 71 96 but they got ripped off. Dont think they had high ports. Application is a 71 Formula with 72 block 444ci.
Old 04-07-19, 11:06PM   #9
Gach
Administrator

Dude the last one Iíd be pushing is Kauffman anything. Their aluminum head is called High Port.

I have no idea what the hell your asking. But hereís what I think your asking. Out side of the Ram1V head the SD head has the highest port. All the rest are simple D-Port heads. That take stock intakes. Out of all the D-Port heads the 6x has the best port. Most sort after by Super Stock Guys. Two chamber size. One have 100+ cc chamber other 96 cc chamber. That came on 400 ci GP motors other came on 455 motors.
Old 04-07-19, 11:25PM   #10
Gach
Administrator

I guess it depends on what your looking for, Iíve run Ram 11 heads, Ram 1V heads and the 96 D-Port Heads. Compression is always a consideration if your trying to get as much as you can then any of 72 cc will work. Think limit with cutting the head is 12.5 with flat top piston.

If itís pump gas then 96 cc chamber is the way to go, Iíve heard differences of opinion on which one of the D-Port heads are better then the other. The 6X ( if you can find one ) with 96 cc is definitely best port. But if your not porting ( out of the box ) so to speak. The rest are all basically the same donít think anyone is better then the it other...really.

But their all very limited to head flow. So I have no clue what your looking for. I mean take anyone of D-Port heads and you can make good power just depends on what your looking for.

By way your list is pretty accurate!
Old 04-10-19, 02:03PM   #11
keith
Stubborn old goat

My list did not include RAV 5 head as I have only seen one on Pete McCarthy video and just saw ports. I don't know if it has a code cast in center exhaust port exterior. Had heard that Nunzi developed a hemi-head with PMD, I thought called RA6 or 7. Have never seen one tho.

Guess I was thinking the shallower the combustion chamber depth the likelier to have a better, fuller short turn to increase chamber entry - intake port delivery efficiency on short side. Something that cant really be changed .. what you got you got.
Maybe port path varied among factory heads with respect to the short turn, hard to measure … PM video seems to insinuate it did not so the deeper the chamber floor the more the chamber side of short turn is eaten away.
Still not sure I understand how 670 with a closed chamber and 62 with open chamber can both be 72cc, looking again I see the 62 more a wider shallower "swipe" on the 62 whereas the 670 a "burrow" on spark plug side .. I measure .118, .118 chamber floor on 62 near edge at center of intake,exhaust valve to the gasket surface … 670 measures .125, .125 . My 1969 46's measure .118, .118 .. they were supposed to be 68cc. The blanks I am preparing for Koolaid 444 measure .325, .325 for 75 6x(101cc) and 73 46(96cc) ... swipes are different. My 80cc 11's measure .275, .275 . Guess a combination of floor depth and "swipe" geometry make the difference in chamber size. Now thinking change the swipe on my 62's to get 90ish cc + good short turn?? Still have originals from back in the day but they had gotten hot once. Also have a set that were freshened by R+L back in the day and are still pretty. Both sets probably 72cc now or less(if milled).

Now that heads are cleaned the most significant difference I notice on 6X is the exhaust port, it appears to unblock exhaust port appreciably at least from the 73 46's, will add photos of hopefully for comparison. I have seen several reviews of actual tested airflow with cfm numbers and don't seem to see a concrete difference however. All on my list I could see had guide area blockage except 670's to a lesser degree. Hadnt noticed siamese center 2 bowl exit does not look optimum for exhaust flow, have never seen any porting options for that area.
Old 04-10-19, 07:25PM   #12
Gach
Administrator

Iím not understanding what your trying to achieve here. Your not making sense? Iíve always looked at things differently. Out of all the deports 6X has best intake and exhaust, has the best short turn radius. Super Stock guys were running 10.00ís. they werenít allowed to do any port work. Whatís that tell you ?

What cam you planning on running whatís your hp target? At what rpms?
Old 04-10-19, 07:38PM   #13
Gach
Administrator

All this comparing your doing between heads 670...46...6X Is kind of senseless.
The cam is going to be the determining factor. You know like what rpms what cross sectional area you need for piston speed to achieve that rpm. Were itís going to make torque, convertor gear ratio. Itís like you canít arbitrarily pick a flow number.